Today we are reading John 12:20-36 The Son of Man must be lifted up. It can be found here.
Some of you might remember the song “We Want To Jesus Lifted High“. My daughter used to sing that song and “Lift Jesus Higher” as loudly as she could as she swung on our backyard swing – that was her evangelistic method! I not sure, that’s exactly what this passage means, but you have to like the intent.
Jesus is teaching that death is the way to life. And that to follow Jesus is to be with Jesus.
Jesus says in v27-28 “Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!””
- I’m sure most of us can identify with Jesus. Our souls are troubled in these days. There is so much unknown. We don’t know about tomorrow let alone next month, or this summer, or the fall.
- It’s OK to cry out to the Lord, to lament, to tell God that you don’t know.
- As you read this passage,
- What stands out to you?
- What do you sense Jesus saying to you?
- What comfort do you take from this passage?
- Are you putting “your trust in the light“v36? Are you walking in the light?
- What does that mean? What does that look like in your life?