PONDER: We are the Light of the World
You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead, they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5.14-16
Those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever. Daniel 12:3
… it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. Philippians 2:13-16a
- What words or phrases stand out to you (what is the Spirit highlighting to you)? Why do you think this is?
- How does living in God’s Light affect you? (Consider its influence in these verses.)
- What might God be saying to you? To your neighbours?
- How might the Spirit be nudging you to respond?
You might want to journal your responses.
Arise, shine inheritors of God’s light,
Bearers of Christ’s light in our darkened world,
The light of God has come into our world,
nations will come to its brightness!
Arise shine, in Christ, God’s light has been revealed to all people,
God’s glory has been unveiled in all the earth.
We come to see, we come to follow,
We come that we might go and tell,
Sharing God’s light with our neighbours.
Indeed, the light of God has come into our world
To shine God’s justice and love
To overcome the darkness and bring new life.
Christ our king has redeemed the world
He draws us into a loving family
From every people group, nation, and culture.
The Spirit has equipped us to be like Jesus
To love our neighbours as ourselves
To bear witness to the Light: God’s good news right where we live –and to the ends of the earth!
Triune One, we seek Your presence, grace and power–
Be our Light that we might seek, follow and share…
Your hope in times of despair,
Your love in places of hate,
Your truth in a world of deception,
Your light in the midst of darkness.
Faithful One, we need You:
In times of uncertainty, may we be assured of your faithfulness,
In places of desolation, be our consolation,
In a world broken and bound up, heal, hold, make new, shine in all our dark places
With Your glory, grace and truth,
Love embodied and embedded,
May we trust in You and
Participate by Your Spirit in the redemption of all things.
Come Lord Jesus, be our Light and our salvation. Amen.
Adapted from/inspired by Epiphany Prayer and Litany – Godspacelight
You might also want to light a candle (since we are reflecting [no pun intended] on light) and pray…
- Jesus, fill me with Your light that I/we might be light right where you have sent me…. (name people and places)
- Forgive me for hiding or neglecting to share Your light in me… (confess specific instances)
- Help us to be, all that you have already called and made us to be, as those who know You are the True Light that enlightens everyone. Amen.
- What/who has encouraged you throughout this season?
- How have you encouraged others?
This week write some notes of gratitude and encouragement to those whom you have felt encouraged/blessed by this season… a simple sincere note – whether it’s email or snail mail can make a huge difference!