PONDER: TEMPLE PEOPLE
After eight days had passed, it was time to circumcise the child; and he was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.
When the time came for their purification according to the law of Moses, they brought him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord (as it is written in the law of the Lord, “Every firstborn male shall be designated as holy to the Lord”), and they offered a sacrifice according to what is stated in the law of the Lord, “a pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons.”
Now there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon; this man was righteous and devout, looking forward to the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit rested on him. It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Messiah. Guided by the Spirit, Simeon came into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him what was customary under the law, Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying,
“Master, now you are dismissing your servant in peace, according to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the presence of all peoples, 32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel.” ~Luke 2:21-32
… Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart. ~Luke 2:19
- What words or phrases stand out to you (what is the Spirit highlighting to you)? Why do you think this is?
- Notice how Simeon was in synch with the Spirit (mentioned 3 times). – how are you/we?
- What does God’s salvation look like to you? How have you ‘seen’ it? (v.30)
- What might God be saying to you? To your neighbours?
- How might the Spirit be nudging you to respond?
You might want to journal your responses.
Holy Spirit, as you rested on Simeon, rest on us.
May we too look forward to Your coming—again!
That there might be light for all and Your Kingdom come on earth.
Holy Spirit, give us eyes to see your salvation in the small and ordinary things—
The tenderness of a newborn baby
The chirp of the chikadees
The smell of gingerbread, cinammon, grace.
The smile from across the street
The moments of laughter shared, a memory, a hug
Love embodied in flesh and blood
The snow that sparkles in the sun.
Holy Spirit, You have already prepared all things!
Like Simeon, dismiss us in peace
Dismiss us of covid, cruelty, poverty and pain
Dismiss us of pride, greed and selfishness
Dismiss us of worry, injury and despair
Dismiss us to share Your glory and walk in Your Light and
The Glory of the One-of-a-kind Son, full of grace and truth.
Come, Lord Jesus. Amen
- Like Simeon, how might you recognize the Spirit at work and encourage a Joseph and Mary?
- How, like Mary and Joseph, have you been encouraged as you have heard the Spirit speak to you through another?
- Encourage a neighbour(s) who is in quarantine by making a Spotify playlist for or sharing an ebook/ audiobook/ podcast/ Ted Talk with them and spending time in conversation about it.