Sound engineers speak of two things – signal and noise.
- The signal is the meaningful part of a transmission.
- The noise is all the unwanted stuff
that interferes with our ability to hear and understand the signal.
Our lives are full of noise:
- so much information,
- so many messages,
- all competing for our attention.
We find it hard to find the signal.
Take some time to identify the noises around you one by one:
- children playing;
- dogs barking;
- the hubbub of life…
As you recognise each one,
and then place it to one side.
What are the noises on the inside?
- that song you can’t get out of your head;
- thoughts that won’t stop chattering;
- nagging worries;
- things you have to do tomorrow…
Identify them one by one,
listen to them and place them to one side.
Let God still the oscilloscope of your soul,
- turn the noise off
- and give you peace.
Then listen for his signal.