PONDER: THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD
From the Beginning to the End, the Triune One brings, bears and embodies Light: When God made the world, He said “Let there be light!” Genesis 1:3, 14-17; Psalm 136:7
God, you shine like a very bright light. You are more majestic than mountains full of wild animals. Psalm 76:4
Every good thing given, and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. James 1:17
This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light and in him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him while we are walking in darkness, we lie and do not do what is true; but if we walk in the light as he himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:5-6
He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords. It is he alone who has immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see; to him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen. 1 Timothy 6:15b-16
You will not need the light of the sun by day anymore. The bright light of the moon will no longer have to shine on you. I will be your light forever. My glory will shine on you. I am the Lord your God. Isaiah 60:19
They will see his face. His name will be on their foreheads. There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun. The Lord God will give them light. They will rule for ever and ever. Revelation 22:4-6
- What words or phrases stand out to you (what is the Spirit highlighting to you)? Why do you think this is?
- What does it mean to you that God is light?
- How do you experience and dwell in the light of God?
- What might God be saying to you? To your neighbours?
- How might the Spirit be nudging you to respond?
You might want to journal your responses.
Circle us, Lord
With the Light of Your Presence
Circle our neighbourhood with your grace and favour.
Circle this place, these people
In Your Light
that You Creator- Spirit- Son might
Keep calm within and chaos without
Reveal the good and true and, disperse the darkness
Ignite wisdom and, put out foolishness
Give patience and take away worry
Restore health and freedom and demolish covid and fear
Bring harmony and wholeness and dispel discord and divisiveness
Shine Your grace and mercy and dethrone the night
Your Light within and without
Circle us Lord of Light.
PRACTICE: SERVING WITH
Today as you celebrate with whatever small group of family or friends, thankful for a New Year, an opportunity for new beginnings, new mercies every morning and new ways to discover and join the Spirit on God’s mission in our neighbourhoods…
- Think again about your interests, gifts, talents and skills, experiences and passions… how might the Spirit be inviting you to serve with your neighbours in your ‘sweet spot’?
- Jot down a few ideas, explore some options… if possible, try one out today or tomorrow!
- As you gather with family, friends, neighbours serve one another in love.
Like good stewards of the manifold grace of God, serve one another with whatever gift each of you has received. 1 Peter 4:10